30 August 2006

40 years is a long time

Recently, I have been reading a feature on the online magazine Slate called "Blogging the Bible." Basically, a writer (who happens to be Jewish) is reading the Bible from beginning to end. He started a few months ago with the book of Genesis. He reads a few chapters and then writes a summary of what he has read - usually chapter by chapter.

It's interesting because it's a different perspective than I'm used to (He's Jewish, I'm Christian Reformed.) I also get to kind of read it along with him, and experience stories I may have forgotten about etc... So, today I was reading the second Deuteronomy entry. It's about one of Moses' final speeches to the Israelites - making an argument to the Israelites about God.

And I got to thinking about wandering the desert for 40 years. 40 years is a long time! It's longer than my lifetime at this moment. In fact, I still have 15 more years to go before I'm 40. And even more than that if you count just the years where I am "aware" of myself!

Sometimes I feel old already. Like, I should have done more with my life by now, or that I am behind where I "should" be. But then I think about things like this, or hear about someone doing something when they are much older than I, and I know how ridiculous I am being.

Oh well, that was kind of scatterbrained, but I'm also listening to a batch of devotionals and I suck at listening and working at the same time. I can NOT listen to music when I work or anything. So, as an end to this...40 years is a long time!

No comments: